A golden era began just after the Second World War. Between 1946 and 1967, the trophy count illustrates just how dominant a force Mottram were;
A total of 23 trophies in 21 years!
After all this success it was very much a case of “after the Lord Mayors show” as Mottram embarked on probably their bleakest ever period, both on and off the field. The break-up of our successful sides of the 60’s left our playing resources somewhat depleted and the club was also blighted by a spate of vandalism. Forms were wrecked, the tea hut and sightscreens were repeatedly damaged and in October 1970 the pavilion was burnt to the ground.
A beleaguered general committee set about what seemed the hopeless task of rebuilding our once great club and facilities. What you see on view at the club today is testimony to the dedication and sheer determination of those members who simply refused to give in to a small bunch of mindless idiots.
In spite of this adversity our junior side won the league in 1971 and 1972 and a number of these players were in the under 21’s team which won the H.S. Brown Cheshire Colts Cup at Alderley Edge in 1978, believed at the time, to be our Centenary year.
The finances raised by the many commemorative events held in this year, enabled the club to refurbish our new pavilion which had been erected in 1973. In 1983 we opened a bar in the clubhouse and in 1985 the ground was levelled. The re birth of Mottram was well and truly under way. On the field of play our revitalization was complete. Between 1981 and 1999 our silverware collection almost mirrored our golden era;
A total of 19 trophies in 18 years!
Following the sad demise of the Glossop & District League at the end of the 1999 season, we joined the Derbyshire & Cheshire League.